Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Are You Talking to Me?

So yesterday Jackson said the word mama. It was a pivotal epic moment in my life. Did he mean it? I seriously doubt it. Did he look right at me and very carefully enunciate two syllables? Yes he did.

Jackson had school closed for the holiday, but I did not. So my mom watched him all morning and much of the afternoon. Then I came home to prepare for a meeting and take over, and I was feeding him a nice big snack at about 3:30 pm. I paused from shoveling the food into his mouth to take a sip of water and while I wasn't looking at him, he just said, "Mama." That was it. Not mamamamamamamamamamamamammaa. Not mama followed by bljounoeuwounlkjouiojlajsdas. Just mama.

I was like, Mama? Did you just say Mama? Were you talking to me? Trying desperately to get him to say it again, which to me would at that moment have validated it, etc. But he waited a bit to say it. But he did smile and laugh, because he knew that he just made my...well I don't know. More than my day, more than my year. It was just awesome. Hooray! Mama! That's me!

0 comments: