Thursday, October 14, 2010

Kids Say the Darnedest Things



This weekend Jason is hanging with his parents and I'm home with Jackson and several friends from college and we are going to run different versions of the Denver Rock and Roll Marathon.

The timing for his departure isn't great, as I got some sad news tonight. My parents' dog Buffy has cancer, and doesn't have real long to go. Buffy is a fantastic dog...wicked smart, super friendly, I can't even tell you how great she is with Jackson and has been since the first time he visited her when he was just about four weeks old.

So my dad emailed my brother and I to tell us the news, and I was home with Jackson waiting for friends to arrive. So we're sitting on Jason and I's bed watching Thomas or Kipper or something, and I'm crying a little because I'm sad (I freaking love that dog). And Jackson turns to me and says, "Mommy, no cryin." And I say, oh yeah sorry buddy, I'll get it together. So he stands up on the bed and puts his arms out and says, "Hug" and sort of throws his arms around me and it of course made me feel better. So I say, thank you honey, and he sits down and gets under the covers and says, "Fixed!"

I don't know what we're going to do when we take him to visit Grandma and Opa and Buffy isn't there and he asks for her. He won't understand anything, but when he walks in and the first thing he says is, "Where's Buffy," I think it will be a stomach punch for everyone. But at least Jackson will be there to fix it. Keep Buffy and my dad in your thoughts and send them good vibes as it will be a tough few days.

0 comments: