Monday, December 1, 2008

Cheerios

Jackson had Cheerios today for the first time. I'm not sure how I feel about that. It's another step in his progression towards being a "big boy," a phrase I find myself saying all the time. He's in the big boy car seat. Sits in the big boy high chair. Sits up like a big boy. Eats like a big boy.

Moms and dads of baby boys are always hoping they will do things like a big boy...potty train, fall down and get back up, keep their pants on when in public, etc. I think that Jason and I will wake up one day sooner than we think and find we have a big boy and will desperately miss these days when he isn't one. I think that's when people pull the goalie and have more kids...when their baby turns to big.

Today at dinner he was having potatoes again...an instant favorite he discovered yesterday. Mixed with chicken and sweet potatoes. We like to all eat together at the table now, but because he's not really feeding himself yet we feed him first and then he plays with the toy that fits on his tray. So he was playing with his toy and I was across from him and Jason was next to him. I don't know why, but he kept peering at me through the gaps of this tree that sits on his tray and giggling. It wasn't really peekaboo, a game we know well. He just thought I looked funny or something. Then I would laugh back and he would laugh louder and louder until he sounds like Randy from "A Christmas Story" and Jason and I melted right there in our chairs. He does it when he's on Jason's shoulders too...pictured above. Note the fabulous hair.

There are days I wish I knew what he wanted or wish he could tell me. There are days when we jokingly say to him, while he is screaming for food in that three minute window when he wakes up and expects his bottle and it is not there, "Jackson, why are you being such a baby" and then we laugh. I would not trade those days and those times and this phase in his life for anything on this planet. He is such a sweet pea and I love it. I love my little big boy.

1 comments:

mel @ the larson lingo said...

what a big boy! i always get so sad, yet happy whenever my girls reach a new milestone...can't they stay little forever?
so glad i found your blog...now i can stalk you :)
our blog is:
http://thelarsonlingo.blogspot.com