Wednesday, December 10, 2008

There is Another Skywalker

It is so interesting to me how differently I react or feel about baby news now that I'm a mom. Before Jackson, friends would drop the baby bomb and I was like, whatever, hooray for you and to be honest I probably didn't care too much. Sorry friends with children older than mine, I was probably more terrified by your news than I was happy about it. I mean I was happy for them I suppose, but as far as like the Oh My God reaction and shrieking with excitement and stuff...not so much. Usually it was more about me dealing with my terror at the prospect of being pregnant myself. Yeah, I did set myself up to hate being pregnant but I would have hated it anyways.

So now obviously it's much different. I'm happy for them all (and lately there a LOT of them). Each time a first time future mom drops that bomb on me, I'm so excited for them because I seriously dig this whole deal. Jackson absolutely rules.

However, lately the new phase we are dealing with is the friends who have toddlers and are pregnant again. Each time Jason and I learn of a friend with the deuce on the way, particularly those with kids younger than 3 already, we look at each other and say NO WAY. We are in the NO WAY phase. As in no way will there be another. Of course everyone says, oh you say that now, blah blah blah. And yeah, we do. And yeah, I know that the more awesome Jackson gets and the more he is a person and not just a baby there is a likelihood that we will change our minds and roll the dice again. We both come from two kid houses but we had very different experiences. My brother and I fought constantly. Jason and his sister didn't. I don't know too many only children, but the ones I do know are pretty cool grownups now. There are pros and cons to both.

But for now...and for the foreseeable future...one is enough. When you've got a dream kid, why would you try again? As far as we are concerned we already broke the mold. So to my friend who minutes ago broke this news to me of another Skywalker...congrats...and I can't wait to see how this scenario plays out. Love you girl!

0 comments: