Monday, June 16, 2008

Developmental Milestones, Blah Blah Blah

Everyone has different interpretations of what their kid is supposed to be able to do at certain ages. And each book or website or press release or pamphlet make allowances for lack of tummy time or whatever random reason your kid is behind the rest of the class, so really who knows what really he should be doing at this age.

Jackson is six weeks and three days old today, and developmentally it was a thrilling weekend I suppose. While laying on his back, he "batted" at the cat holding the ball on his "gym" on Friday. It was unintentional, and he made the thing play it's little ditty while I was in the kitchen. Then today he was staring at the cat again, and this time he took a swing at it, made contact and it played the song. He looked at it, took another swing and hit it again and it played the song, and then did it again. I think that maybe he meant to do it. He also turns his head from side to side too often to count when he's on his tummy, and now we try and get him to lift it more and look forward but he does what he wants.

Today was a big personal mommy milestone, as we were playing, I smiled at him and he totally smiled back. It was a total payoff...every new mom I know says just wait, just wait until he smiles at you it makes all the puke and poop and hell worth it. Um, yeah it does. When they look at you and grin with that goofy toothless mouth of theirs and their eyes get all smiley and all that, I won't lie, it makes every single second worth it. The other night at 3 am feeding I was getting situated and I looked down at him to get going and he was grinning at me and that was adorable. He was smiling a lot yesterday at Grandma and Grandpa's house when they were playing with him, but today was the first time he looked at my smile and smiled back. Cool!

0 comments: